The Qur'an contains a Sura named an‑Anam or Cattle (Sura 6). This is a Meccan Sura. Reportedly, Allah revealed this Sura one year before the Hijrah (Muhammad’s migration to Medina). Muslim historians claim that the Meccan pagans forced Muhammad to leave Mecca after thirteen years of preaching of his new religion without much success. He had to seek help from strangers. According to ibn Kathir Allah revealed this Sura in Mecca at night, in the presence of 70 000 angels. An interesting verse in this Sura is 6:38. In this verse, Allah says that He has omitted nothing in the Qur’an, and all creatures, including birds with wings, form communities like human beings. These creatures (that is, animals, birds, cattle, fishes, insects…and so on) will also be resurrected. The implication of this verse is that all animals will face the judgment of Allah on the resurrection day. They will be born again, just like the resurrection of human beings.
Other Suras in the Qur'an named after animals or insects are: The Cow (Sura 2), The Ant (Sura 27), The Bee (Sura 16), The Spider (Sura 29), and The Elephant (Sura 105). Let us briefly explore a few interesting features of these Islamic creatures, especially the Islamic animals.
Were we to believe what Allah says in the previous verse (6:38), then we must admit that animals including, birds, worms, fishes, and insects are Muslims. To confirm that Allah is serious about animals being Muslims, He says in verse 35:24 that there is no community on whom He did not send a messenger. Ash Shifa, the famous book of Qadi ‘Iyad ibn Musa al‑Yahsubi, and revered by the Islamic community as one of the most holy description of Muhammad and the Qur'an, confirms that Allah does indeed send messengers to animals. Qadi Iyad writes that animals, such as monkeys, pigs, riding beasts, and so on, had a warner and a prophet (Ash Shifa, p.426). The Qur'an is not clear about the species of animal‑prophet; that is, whether a human male is the prophet of the animal kingdom or whether each animal species has its own type as a prophet. More specifically, whether or not the monkeys’ prophet is another monkey, tigers’ prophet is another tiger, pigs’ prophet is another pig, and horses’ prophet is another horse…and so on.
In verse 27:82 Allah even says that He will send a beast (a very grotesque, terrifying animal) as a prophet for mankind. Allah will create a beast from earth to talk to the unbelievers after Allah had punished them. Ibn Abbas confirms that the beast will come with the mast of Moses. Jalalyn says the beast will preach in Arabic. Ibn Kathir provides a good description of this Muslim beast. He writes:
It was also recorded by Ibn Majah. Ibn Jurayj reported that Ibn Az-Zubayr described the beast and said, "Its head is like the head of a bull, its eyes are like the eyes of a pig, its ears are like the ears of an elephant, its horns are like the horns of a stag, its neck is like the neck of an ostrich, its chest is like the chest of a lion, its colour is like the colour of a tiger, its haunches are like the haunches of a cat, its tail is like the tail of a ram, and its legs are like the legs of a camel. Between each pair of its joints is a distance of twelve cubits. It will bring out with it the staff of Musa and the ring of Sulayman. There will be no believer left without it making a white spot on his face, which will spread until all his face is shining white as a result; and there will be no disbeliever left without it making a black spot on his face, which will spread until all his face is black as a result, then when the people trade with one another in the marketplace, they will say, `How much is this, O believer' `How much is this, O disbeliever'. And when the members of one household sit down together to eat, they will know who is a believer and who is a disbeliever. Then the beast will say: `O so-and-so, enjoy yourself, for you are among the people of Paradise.' And it will say: `O so-and-so, you are among the people of Hell.’
- Sometimes Allah transmutes humans into animals. In verse 6:74, we learn that Abraham admonished his father (Terah or Azar) for worshipping idols. Ibn Kathir writes that on the resurrection day Allah will turn Abraham’s father into a male hyena covered with dung, and throw him into hellfire.
Even in the temporal life, Allah performs this human‑animal transmutation. Verse 2:65 (also see 5:60, 7:163, and 7:166) say that some Jews (Children of Israel) desecrated the Sabbath, so Allah turned them into apes and swine. Elaborating this incredible feat, ibn Kathir writes that they (the Jews) began using deceitful means to avoid honouring the Sabbath by placing nets, ropes, and artificial pools of water for fishing before the Sabbath. When the fish came in abundance on Saturday as usual, they were caught in the ropes and nets for the rest of Saturday. During the night, the Jews collected the fish after the Sabbath ended. When they did that, Allah changed them from humans into monkeys, the animals having the form closest to humans; the young people turned into howling monkeys with tails while the older people were turned into swine. They lived on earth only for three days. They did not eat, drink, or had offspring.
Confirmed by Ibn Abbas, this transmutation happened during the time of David.
Allah has a great fascination for Islamic animals, especially Islamic cattle. In a number of verses (such as 2:171, 7:179, 8:22, 62:5), Allah maintains that the non‑Muslims are worse than Islamic animals. Explaining 62:5, ibn Kathir writes that the Jews are worse than donkeys. In connection with 8:55, Jalalyn and ibn Abbas say that Allah considered the Banu Qurayzah Jews worse than cattle. Ibn Kathir adds more salt to the injury. He says that the unbelievers who do not embrace Islam, and who break treaties are the worst moving creatures on earth. Muslims should punish them harshly and inflict heavy casualties among them.
Ibn Kathir provides the reason why Allah considers the infidels worse than animals. He writes, in connection with verse 25:44:
They are worse than grazing cattle. Cattle only do what they were created to do, but these people were created to worship Allah alone without associating partners with Him, but they worship others with Him, even though evidence has been established against them and Messengers have been sent to them.
We might wonder what the Islamic animals, particularly Islamic cattle are. Allah provides the answer in 6:143, 36:71–73, 39:6, and 42:11.
In these verses, Allah says that He had created the domestic cattle with His own hands (Allah has hands) for the convenience of human (36:71–73). Because of this purity of Allah’s creation, Islamic animals, Ibn Kathir writes that you can drink cattle urine as medicine. This means the urine of camels, cows (bulls included), goats, and sheep are Islamic medicine.
In 6:143 Allah says that He created eight pairs—two (a male pair and a female pair) from sheep (i.e., two male sheep and two female sheep, total four) and two pairs (male and female) of goats (i.e., two male goats and two female goats, total four), and made halal both the male and female and the foetus in the womb of the female. In 39:6, Allah says that He created human beings from a single person, then created mates of like nature, and sent down eight heads of cattle in eight pairs (sheep, goat, camel and oxen; i.e. in total, four sheep, four goats, four camels and four oxen; that is, sum total number of Islamic beasts is sixteen).
Therefore, Islamic cattle mean camels, sheep, cows, and goats. In verse 45:3–4 Allah says that these scattered animals are His signs on earth.
It is interesting that in a few ahadith we learn that many Islamic animals have the ability to talk with human beings. Here are a few samples:
- Muhammad, Abu Bakr, and Umar believed that a cow could talk like a human… (Sahih Bukhari, 3.39.514)
- A wolf talked to Unais… (Sahih Bukhari, 3.39.517)
- A cow and a wolf spoke; Muhammad and Umar believed it… (Sahih Bukhari, 4.56.677)
- A weary camel told Muhammad that it was hungry…( Sunaan Abu Dawud, 2.14.2543)
- Muhammad and Abu Bakr believed that cows and wolves could speak the tongue of human beings… (Sahih Muslim, 31.5881)
- An Islamic wolf spoke to a herdsman… (Ash Shifa, p.172)
- Muhammad talked to a lizard and it answered him in a clear tongue…(Ash Shifa, p.171)
Ibn Ishaq (p.93) writes that the belly of a slaughtered cow talked.
The Qur'an also confirms that Prophet Solomon had the ability to understand the languages of animals, and insects, including ants (27:19). Sura 27 (The Ants) is a testimony to this incredible act of Islamic Solomon.
- Allah loves animal slaughter. He has a great thirst for animal blood. Allah even suggests torturing an animal before a Muslim slaughters it Islamically. Here are a few ahadith to gauge Allah’s love to inflict cruelty to domestic animals.
- Blood of animals is very dear to Allah…(Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3126)
- After slaughter dip sandals in the animal’s blood… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3105, 3106)
- Before killing the animal hide the knife… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3172)
- Yearly slaughtering of an animal is compulsory… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3125)
- Garland a goat before slaughtering it… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3096)
- Torture a camel before slaughtering it… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3097)
- Ride on the animal before slaughtering it… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3103, 3104)
- If a sacrificial she-camel gives birth to an offspring while she is being marched for slaughter, then the offspring should also be slaughtered along with the mother…(Malik’s Muwatta, 20.43.144)
- If a sacrificial animal has an offspring then sacrifice the young one with the mother; you can ride on it, and you can even drink its milk before killing the animal…(Malik’s Muwatta, 20.43.145)
- Garland the sacrificial camel or the cow with two sandals about its neck and brand it by causing blood to flow from its side… (Malik’s Muwatta, 20.57.191)
- If a sacrificial animal is injured then throw its garlands in its blood, and then let the people eat its meat; the owner cannot eat its meat…(Malik’s Muwatta, 20.45.154, 155)
- When a she camel is slaughtered what is in its womb is also included in the slaughter if the foetus is perfectly formed and its hair has begun to grow; if it comes out of its mother’s womb then it (the newly born baby animal) should be slaughtered so that blood flows from its heart…(Malik’s Muwatta, 24.4.8, 9)
- If the sacrificial animals are tired then slaughter them, dye their hoofs in their blood and put them on the sides of their humps, and do not eat their meat… (Sahih Muslim, 7.3054, 3056)
- Allah uses His animals to extract zakat from human. Here is what Allah says regarding the Muslims who refuse to pay the Islamic income tax (zakat).
- Camels and sheep will punish their owners if their owners did not pay zakat due on them...(Sahih Bukhari, 2.24.485, 539)
- If you do not pay zakat on your camels then they will punish you mercilessly…(Sahih Muslim, 5.2166, 2167)
- Your cattle will punish you if you did not pay zakat due on them… (Sahih Muslim, 5.2170)
- Camels, sheep, and cows will trample you if you do not pay zakat… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 3.1785, 1786)
Some Islamic animals follow the sharia laws. For example, in Sahih Bukhari (6.60.254), we read that a group of monkeys stoned a she‑monkey for committing illegal sexual intercourse. Some animals are, however, breakers of sharia laws. Thus, in ibn Majah (4.3230) we read that lizards are adulterous.
- Lastly, besides the Islamic cattle mentioned before, Allah has also made halal the meat of the following wild beasts.
- It is permissible to eat locusts…(Sahih Muslim, 21.4801)
- Locusts are games of the sea; you may eat them… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3222)
- Locust are Allah’s troops, you may eat them… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3219, 3220)
- Eating a hyena’s meat is halal… (Sunaan ibn Majah, 4.3236)
- Muhammad permitted the eating of hyena meat… (Sunaan Tirmidhi, 830)
- It is permissible to eat horsemeat… (Sahih Muslim, 21.4804)
- Muhammad did not eat the flesh of a lizard but he did not prohibit its eating…(Sahih Muslim, 21.4783, 4784, 4787)
|If you like this essay:||Stumble it||digg it|
Abul Kasem is an Bengali ex-Muslim and academic. He has contributed in Leaving Islam - Apostates Speak Out and Beyond Jihad - Critical Voices from Inside. He has also written extensively on Islam in various websites and is the author of five e-Books: A Complete Guide to Allah, Root of Terrorism ala Islamic Style, Sex and Sexuality in Islam, Who Authored the Quran? and Women in Islam. Mr. Kasem leaves in Sydney, Australia. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Date: Saturday November 17, 2007
Time: 22:15:58 -0700
If muslims believe all that 'Allah' crap , why do they need modern medical science? They can go back to the camel-milk and urine therapy , Mohamed's cure-all for all diseases , and live in permanent backwardness and wallow in the filth and blackness of the dark idealogy called 'Islam'. Let the Kaffirs enjoy the fruits of progress and modern science. To them their ways and to us our ways ,a la Quran! Let us alone ! You live in your islamic 'iron curtain' and do whatever youwant as a muslim and don't try to push your dirty, evil, insane and wicked idealogies down the throats of "Infidels". It is really sickening to be a 'muslim' with such inanities ,not allowing the fresh air of reason and rationality and freedom of thought and way of living to individuals.
Name: Shafee al-Apostate
Date: Sunday November 18, 2007
Time: 05:12:39 -0700
Hilali and Khan’s misleading version of the Quranic verse 16:4 is hilarious. In their desperate attempt to veil such a blunder they commit even more blunders. By stating that we are created from mixed drops of male and female sexual discharge they reveal their appalling lack of knowledge of biology. They believe that a woman’s womb is like a garden where one plants seeds (semen) and then babies grow. Unlike the soil in the garden the woman’s womb contains an egg that descends from the uterus and this is fertilized by the male’s sperm only. The woman’s discharge has nothing to do with pregnancy. It is her egg that contributes half of our bodies. Moreover when there is no fertilization the womb rejects this egg which causes women to bleed during their periods. This cycle is repeated monthly. This also means that women’s periods are not a disease as stated in the Quran. So much for "Islamic science"!
Date: Sunday November 18, 2007
Time: 05:54:48 -0700
With the advent of animal and human biology every detail of how reproduction takes place in cross breeding species is very well described. In vitro fertilization, artificial insemination and test tube babies are a reality. I wonder why the muslims believe what is said in quran about reproduction. If Allah is omniscient why should he have dictated such juvenile assumptions about reproduction. This is ample evidence that Quran is a handiwork of a person with little knowledge of anything and passed it as has been said by Allah. The gullible still believe in all those verses and worst of all try to defend.
Name: NUKE WEAPONS ALHAMDULILLAAHHH
Date: Monday November 19, 2007
Time: 02:10:03 -0700
PAKIS HV NUKES WEAPONS,IRAN HAS THEN SOON SAUDI AND EGYPT WITH HELP OF CHINA AND NORTH KOREAN WIL HAVE THEM,THEN THEY WILL NUKE ISRAEL AND USA AND THEY WILL RETALIATE AND OBLITRATE THE WORLD,ALHAMDULLILLAAAHHH-WORLD END OF WORLD IS NEAR.HAHAHA
Date: Monday November 19, 2007
Time: 07:46:40 -0700
Religions are poisonous, ALL are included.
Date: Wednesday November 28, 2007
Time: 01:42:44 -0700
This is a Question to vbv, stop making stupid remarks you imature sad person be grateful the almighty allah loves you and gave you life so you benefit in the after life. So you prevent the fire of Hell if you keep on going the way you are you are heading right for it just a word of warning may allah guide us all in the right path (inshalla)
Date: Wednesday November 28, 2007
Time: 09:50:48 -0700
Back your claim up with irrefutable evidence, if Allah is so all knowing how is it that the Bibles evidence precedes Allahs message by hundreds of years? And further more, how is it that the other varying cultures throughout the Middle Eastern, Chinese, or even the south African region are not accounted for in those books? Also, the south African inhabitants, in the years before the Flood, were already worshipping and adhering to the gods of old when it was discovered that mining operations were underway at numerous sites throughout south Africa, there is even verbal evidence to this day that there were ancient mining operations in the area from local inhabitants who claim in the days before the Flood there was a war that had broken out in the area between those from the Earth and those from the Nifilim.
Name: Genesis Revisited: pg. 22 Gold Mining-How Long Ago?
Date: Monday December 03, 2007
Time: 14:05:00 -0700
Is there evidence that mining took place, in southern Africa, during the Old Stone Age? Archaeological studies indicate that it indeed was so. Realizing that sites of abandoned ancient mines may indicate where gold could be found, South Africa's leading mining corporation, the Anglo-American Corporation, in the 1970's engaged archaeologists to look for such ancient mines. Published reports (in the corporation's journal "Optima") detail the discovery in Sawziland and other sites in South Africa of extensive mining areas with shafts of depths to fifty feet. Stone objects and charcoal remains established dates of 35,000 - 46,0000 - and 60,000 B.C. for these sites. The archaeologists and anthropologists who joined in dating the finds believed that mining technology was used in southern Africa "during much of the period subsequent to 100,000 B.C." In September 1988, a team of international physicists came to South Africa to verify the age of human inhabitants in Swaziland and Zululand. The most modern techniques indicated an age of 80,000 to 115,000 years. Regarding the most ancient gold mines of Monotapa in southern Zimbabwe, Zulu legends hold that they were worked by "artificially produced flesh and blood slaves created by the First People." These slaves, the Zulu legends recount, "went into battle with the Ape-Man" when "the great war star appeared in the sky"(see "Indaba My Children, by Zulu medicine man Credo Vusamazulu Mutwa).
Name: Abd Al Kareem
Date: Thursday April 03, 2008
Time: 07:50:24 -0700
Dead men walking...oxygen thiefs.... u desire to extinguish the light of ALLAH....hence u wallow in darkness May ure creator have mercy upon your souls when he seizes u.....